Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Power of Hope

My favorite book series of all time is the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. (Side note: it's definitely for mature readers. If you're offended by swearing and sex, it's not for you.) There are so many fabulous things about the books (like Mac's character arc, sexy cars, and the most alpha of all alpha males, Barrons), but there's one important driving theme throughout the series.

"Hope strengthens, fear kills."

Ever since I first read the series, this has been my mantra. Seriously. I even have it printed on a shirt.

When I find myself getting in a rut about something, I think of Barrons telling Mac, "There are really only two positions one can take toward anything in life: hope or fear. Hope strengthens, fear kills."

I wrote The Devil Drinks Coffee in 2010. I loved the book and it's still my favorite thing I've ever written. I feel like I came a long way as a writer with Devil, and I truly believed readers would like it too. Hearing people in publishing tell me no one would want to read a story about a small Utah town was really hard, especially when the town, story, and characters were so close to my heart.

Taking a chance on publishing The Devil Drinks Coffee was pretty scary for me, and there were times when it was difficult to remember my mantra. I wasn't sure how the book would be received by family, friends, my YA readers, or readers in general. And I couldn't predict how the book would sell. Would people talk about the book and spread the word? Would they be excited about these new characters and want to read more? I had no idea.

Luckily, I have some pretty amazing people in my life, like my wonderful husband and my friends and family who have kept me from losing all my hair as I've gone through this process.

But you--my fabulous readers and bloggers who I count as friends and wish I could meet for coffee on a weekly basis--have been absolutely wonderful!!!

Thank you so much to everyone who has bought The Devil Drinks Coffee so far, everyone who's read it, everyone who's emailed me, tweeted, texted, told me their "Team," mentioned the book to friends, or reviewed it. Your enthusiasm for this book and the series has done more for me than you'll ever know and I'm so grateful to you!

You helped take away the fear, and you strengthened me.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you!!!

Love to you all!!!

4 comments:

  1. Rosemary BoncellaJune 5, 2013 at 4:37 AM

    Love, love, love "The Devil Drinks Coffee"! Glad you didn't listen to the negative people! Can't wait for the next Kate Saxee Mystery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love you, Rosemary!!! Thank you so much for all you've done for me!!! <3

      Delete
  2. Good job, Angela--I mean--Destiny. ;)

    ReplyDelete